Sunday, March 31, 2013

It's My Cancer and I'll Cry if I Want To

Devoted bloggees may recall that on day one of my southwestern spa mindfulness trip, I overhead a discussion at the spa pool and realized that I wanted to cry. 
Not right at that moment, but at some point during the week. There are many kinds of crying: crying in pain, in grief, in sadness, in joy, and as a release, to name a few.  I think I wanted to cover several of those types.
On day two, I had an outdoor therapeutic deep tissue massage, which I had really been looking forward to.  My stress--like many of us--builds up in my neck, shoulders and back.  I am fortunate to have a fantastic massage therapist at home and to know what a good massage feels like. Unfortunately, this was not it.  "Deep" to me means, well, deep.  Dig into my back; find the knots; press on them; touch that pain sensation and drive it away.  For 30+ minutes of the massage, I repeatedly requested "deeper, harder, there . .  no there . . . )  It was frustrating for me and likley unpleasant for the massage therapist (MT) as well.  I had advised MT of my cancer--because the area where my port is (left chest, below collarbone and above bra line) is a no-touch zone.  The rest of me is completely touchable.  I couldn't help but wonder if she was scared to touch me harder.  Afterwards, I felt no relief; I felt like I had wasted precious time.  I was torn . .  do I say something to spa managment? complain? or just remain disappointed? I sat there in my spa robe for a bit, silent tears running down my cheeks.  I ended up talking to the spa manager.  It was all very quiet and discreet, and he offered me another massage the next day, with a super MT named L, known for her strength and deepness.  Kudos to Miraval and to the spa manager for handling this so professionally and compassionately.
MT L and I had a great session on day 3. She had already been given a heads up about my port and my desire for depth. We connected, muscularly and oherwise--a book she suggested that I read is the exact book I was already reading (for the second time actually--"When Things Fall Apart", by Pema Codron--I highly recommend it.)  My back and shoulders began to open up, and other parts seemd to follow.  MT L suggested that I try Thai massage, as that would go ever deeper into the kinks, knots, and  stored up gunk.

By day 5, my  final day at Miraval, I was relaxed and rejuvenated.  I told lovely daughter (LD) that I loved our week, in that every day I woke up happy and went to bed happy.  But some part of me still wanted more, deeper.  I still had not truly cried, and since the "Equine Experience" had not triggered tears, I wasn't expecting it at this point.  Little did I know.
I went to a session called "Mindul Stress Mastery."  That session had my name on it!  I thought it would be a lecture of sorts, e..g, "five ways to reduce stress and reach optimal health".  In fact, it was far more raw and honest.  About 10 of us sat in a circle, propped up by meditation chairs, pillows, and blankets.  Stress expert MG (SEMG) led a discussion of what we all stress about, how we deal with it, how to deal with it better.  We each revealed a  small bit about ourselves, and yes, I talked about my cancer, and how my stress emerges with small everyday occurences, often in parking garages. 
SEMG guided us into a walking meditation . . . just around the room, each at our own pace, in our own space.  I was cold and wrapped a large, soft red blanket around me as I slowly walked through the room.  I came face to face with a wall and stopped.  I started crying, still silently, but more abundantly, tears streaming down my face as I stood with my face to the wall, clutching my blanket.  I realized that what I was doing with thr blanket was hugging myself. And that what I really wanted more than anything was a huge bear-hug, from a large, protective, male human, with arms around me, assuring me nonverbally that  everythng would be OK.  And I wanted that hug without asking for it.  And I realized that I didn't know where a gentle giant hug like that might come from, or whether it would ever occur.

Then I pictured my Dad.  Dad passed away in 2004, just a few months before my Mom.  Some cousins said at the time that he was a rock in all of our lives.  Dad was also a great hugger.  I cried more silent tears as I thought about how much I miss him. 

After the walking meditation, we returned to our circle, and SEMG asked us to lie down, as she would then guide us through a body scan.  A body scan??  I smiled through my tear-stained face, and asked "will this be covered by insurance?" I remained aware as she talked us through the scan of the right leg, then left, and then I drifted off into that lovely zone between wakefulness and sleep.

My Thai massage was moments later.  I told Thai massage person M about my port, and he replied "I'm not scared of cancer."  I liked that.  He proceeded to push into my nooks and crannies with his feet, stretch my arms, legs and hips in varying directions, and generally turn me into a pool of mush.  I shed a few tears, and then I was blissfully done with my crying game.

Tearfully yours,
Cdiva 

3 comments:

  1. You look so peaceful lying there on the couch, and I'd certainly give you a big hug - if I were anywhere nearby! (Ph might not like that, though?) Anyway, that's my thought, along with this 'light' reading from Science Daily: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130326101616.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29 You know I think that women are just better people, don't you? Peace. Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love from us here in the Saluda mountains. Hugs too. Remember that huge jug of wine in London? And how the waiter used a ruler to measure how much we drank? Thinking of you. Love MAA, DAB and boys

    ReplyDelete