Friday, March 29, 2013

Cancer Diva Adventures: The Dark Horse is a Winner!



I was a willing participant in the Miraval Equine Experience earlier this week, with little knowledge of the activity, except: 1) there would be no riding of the horses, 2) we would work closely with expert trainers to learn to communicate nonverbally with the horses (I did not ask if they're experts in training horses or training people), and 3) (unofficially) it can make grownups cry. All sounded good for me: I'm a city girl, with virtually no experience in riding or interacting with horses, and the crying part was calling to me. Plus, I had purchased cowgirl-ish straw hats for myself and my lovely daughter (LD) for the trip.
Our expert trainers C and K (ET C & K) were very supportive and encouraging (although I was a bit disappointed that neither resembled Robert Redford in the least.) ET C started the eight of us out with a discussion. Why are we here (can anyone say or hear that without thinking of James Stockdale?) I reported my poolside overhearing of the crying part. "Why would you want to come to an activity to cry?", ET C asked.  I chose to not reveal all, and just replied as I did by the pool, "I guess we all have something to cry about."

We divided up into pairs, each pair to choose a horse. I was immediately drawn to the brown & white painted horse, as those are the colors of my sweet pup Lulu, but others had already chosen him. This turned out to be an advantage as painted horse (ph)  (not to be confused with Perfect Husband (Ph)) was not very compliant.  Neither is Lulu, who is very anxious even aggressive with new humans, but Lulu weighs 25 lbs, not 980.


My partner K and I then went to Leo, the dark (brown) horse. We were instructed by ET C&K on how to approach our horses, where to stand to avoid being kicked, and how to squeeze a horse's lower leg to get him to lift its hoof (they are trained for that response.) We were then to hold the leg/hoof as shown/directed, and clean out each hoof with a special tool. K is a brave soul and went first, to clean the left-side hooves of Leo. It took a few tries, and some guidance ("you don't need to sweet talk him; just show him who is in charge), and then K succeeded marvelously. I was a bit of a nervous Nellie, so K & ET K turned Leo around, giving me access to his right side. My first few tries were unsuccessful. ET K said that I was not communicating clearly with Leo, as I was intermittently squeezing, then loosening my grip--so Leo wasn't sure what I wanted. Hmmm, what does that tell me about my non-horse relationships?? I tried again; Leo lifted his rear hoof a bit . . . and then started pooping. I backed away, and ET K shoveled it up. I thought this actually was a good development, as Leo likely felt better after that . . I think most beings do. I strode back over--purposefully, as the ETs had demonstrated--squeezed once; Leo lifted his leg; I grabbed/supported it; and did the pedicure thing. Success!



K and I then brushed Leo, and each took a turn walking him around the ring, Leo on the other end of a rope. It was surprisingly easy . . . he just walked along at the same pace as me.




For our next trick, the eight humans each took a turn with another brown horse named Elvis. Obviously, he must be special to have that name. Our task was to enter the ring where Elvis was unharnessed and could run free, and to use body language and a whip (to hold only, not actually whipping) to have Elvis trot around the ring at the pace we want, and then stop when we want him to.


 Brave K went first, then another Miravalite. I stood up & handed my Iphone to K, asked her to take photos, and that committed me to going next. I did not want to be first or last. I had sort of assumed Elvis wouldn't comply, but I shut out that thought, walked into the ring, picked up the whip and held it high as I swirled slowly in a circle. Elvis trotted along, so he spun a wider circle around the fence as I formed a smaller concentric circle. Nothing else, no one else existed at that moment but me and Elvis. We were in sync. Mutual respect.  I was in control but in a calm, confident way. I decided this pinnacle should be brief, and stopped at lap one. Elvis slowed down. ET K said "communicate clearly with him." I rolled my shoulders back, put down the whip, and lowered my gaze to the earth, as in a yogic namaste gesture. Elvis stopped. I think I heard a few people clap. It was magical. I was totally in the zone. It lasted less than two minutes.



ET C said that is mindfulness. ET K said she watched me transform from being anxious to being calm and in control. I said "thank you."

So, I did not shed any tears at the Miraval Equine Experience. But there is always another day.

Crying post to follow.

Yours calmly,

Cdiva


3 comments:

  1. ". . . ET K said 'communicate clearly with [Elis].' I rolled my shoulders back, put down the whip, and lowered my gaze to the earth, as in a yogic namaste [? - but I can see it]gesture. Elvis stopped. . . . It was magical. I was totally in the zone. It lasted less than two minutes."

    Brought tears into my eyes - nice photos, sharp hat Good for you. Peace and Love, Don.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste is a greeting, and generally used in closing a (group) yoga practice. It can mean: "i bow to the divine in you"; the light within me honors the light in you; "not me, but you", or simply, "i bow to you".

    (but, my dear friend, i could have just told you to look it up!)

    Xo. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to read about your experience. My older daughter adores ponies and horses and I have discovered how calm and happy they make her feel. For a girl whose anxiety and lack of self confidence hold her back, she is bold and adventurous with them--having learned to care for them and to ride and conquer jumps on them within 6 months! Great that you are trying new things too (and, of course, sharing with all of us)!

    ReplyDelete