Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cancer Diva Adventures: Judgment Day at the Spa


Lovely daughter (LD) and I are at Miraval outside Tucson, AZ, and it is just as wonderful as hoped: peaceful, sunny & warm, delicious healthy food,  abundant opportunites for yoga, workouts, hiking, meditation, mindfulness, massage, facials, and classes in mindfulness, minimizing stress & other ways to better oneself. In between all of that, we veg out at the pool. 

The spa pool area is generally quiet, with most patrons reading, listening to music with headphones, or dozing off, and a waiter discreetly offering frozen mint lemonades and other concoctions.  Adult beverages are available also, and one group of girlfriends seemed to be enjoying those vigorously one afternoon, leading to rather vigorous, loud, alcohol-infused conversation.  I didn't want to judge, but I admit I was annoyed by this, as I really wanted to read/doze off, and even with headphones on, I could hear every word clearly, from irritatons with their kids and husbands, to  "I'm just not a zen-type person" (in case we hadn't noticed).  I really struggled internally with my desire to tune this out, my annoyance at the loud intrusion, and my desire to not judge. I was judging them and judging myself for judging them. Arghhh! I did nothing except occasionally glance over, as if they would read my mind and quiet down.

Then an extremely loud conversation emerged and moved closer, including a woman sitting right next to me.  "I heard  they were crying!" "How ridiculous!!" "What would they be crying about??" They clearly were talking about something occurring at Miraval, and I just had to ask the woman next to me (quietly, of course) what they were talking about. "Oh, it's called the Miraval equine experience. You like train a horse or something."   I admit I then commented: "everyone probably has something to cry about. I think sometimes at a place like this you just have to suspend your disbelief."

I was immediately intrigued by the crying aspect and attracted to the activity they disdained.

Miraval equine experience, per the brochure: "an opportunity to live life in the moment . . . Work with specially selected horses . . . Expert facilitators . . . Nonverbal communication with the horse . . . Notice personal patterns that may be holding you back from the life you want to live."

I signed up.  Happening later today.  Will the horse know I have cancer and be extra gentle? Or maybe I'll get Mr. Ed?  

Naaaaaaay!

Cdiva

3 comments:

  1. Would love to see a picture of your on the horse!

    KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like perhaps some of those around the pool that were carrying on in somewhat of a rude fashion may be relating to a horse but from its back side. :) But now I am judging. . . .

    Sounds intriguing. I look forward to hearing more about your session with Mr. Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked your comment on the attempt a suspending "jugment," but ending up judging yourself! Aaarrrgh is right. Also would like to see you on a horse. Stina tells me it can be very relaxing. Peace and Love. Don.

    ReplyDelete