Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Critters and Beautiful, Brave Lori

The 4th Annual Critters (and Couture!) for the Cure (CFTC) Fashion Show Gala was a big success, raising more than in prior years--more $ to help DC-area patients with breast and gynecological cancers meet everyday needs in life--like getting to chemotherapy and radiation appointments, buying food, paying their electric bill, taking their beloved pets to the vet. The patient (and I don't mean they waited a long time) models were lovely and inspiring, and the pups were adorable.  But the true scene stealer and star of the night was Lori White.  Lori (dark hair, bright top, black leggings) is in the pics below with the other models, and with CFTC President & CEO Clancy Kress.

Lori modeled and received an honor as well.  She smiled and radiated positive energy, despite her recent bad news that her breast cancer has metasticized to her brain.  Mets, they're called in the cancer community.  In my world, it is no longer just a New York baseball team.  Lori was treated in 2011 with chemo and radiation.  Her breast cancer was detected in a routine mammogram and had not spread to any lymph nodes. But after radiation, three lesions were found in her brain.

I met Lori after the formal part of the event and told her she looks beautiful, has such a healthy glow and positive spirit, and I am incerdibly impressed at how brave she is.  She told me she has triple negative breast cancer.  Wow.  So do I. I think she is the first other triple negative breast cancer (TNBC) patient I have met, although I do know of a few others.  We hugged and teared up a little bit, wished each other the best, me in my continuing chemo (and probably clinical trial after that)--Lori in her clinical trial, in Dallas, a long way to travel for medical care.  We exchanged phone #s and email addresses. 

Lori and I are both TNBC patients, and we are both Stage IV, but I am on a much earlier part of the stage IV spectrum.  Once cancer leaves the local area and metastisizes, it can go to many sites in the body.  For breast cancer, the most likley areas (listed in order of concern from least to most) are: soft tissue/lymph nodes (me), bones, lungs, brain, liver.  The goal fior someone like Lori is to knock down that cancer in her brain, and keep it from spreading.  The goal for someone like me is to keep the cancer at bay; keep it out of my bones; keep it away from vital organs.  They are lifelong goals.


 

At home after the event, I enjoyed some of the people treats, and Lulu gobbled down the doggie treats.

And I thought about Lori. Lori, girlfriend, you are in my thoughts every day.  If beauty and good karma can carry the day, the day is yours.

Sending good karma to Lori, Clancy & the CFTC team, and all of you.

CDiva

No comments:

Post a Comment