Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cancer Diva Adventures: Short and to the Point

Ok, so, whats my point?

Yes, I write and write and it's all about me, but kind of bigger than that. At least that's a goal. I've learned so much through being a cancer patient, and I think much of it is useful information for others.  So, bloggees, a chance to learn about the cancer experience without actually having it. (I hope.) Unfortunately and undoubtedly, someone you are close to will experience cancer or another serious disease at some point.

What do I want folks to know? This morning, I awoke to a clear mind and these organized thoughts:

1. Cancer sucks, and treatment is tough, but it can be doable and liveable.

2. Stage IV is not always a death sentence.

3. There are many many people in the Stage IV club--perhaps someone who smiled at you today, who gave you the finger when you were driving to work, or who was sobbing hysterically in the parking lot.

4. We have made great advances, but we need more: more research, more identificaton of cancer subtypes, more diagnostics, more targeted treatments, including treatmnents for Stage IV/metastatic disease. Maybe someday, a preventative or a cure. It takes time, money, brilliance, dedication, and more.

5. Our world needs to adjust to the fact that many patients are living lengthy lives with chronic diseases.  Patients who want to juggle treatment with work and family obligations deserve a fair chance to continue to lead productive lives. 

So, think about this. Observe. Share your thoughts. Ask questions. Take action. And blow someone a kiss.

Yours in brief clarity,

CDiva

2 comments:

  1. Yes, so agreed. I remember my son's 1st grade teacher thanking me on how much my mom had done for her class - helping out with reading time etc. and my comment back was - yes, she is great, lots of enegy and even with Stage IV.
    The teacher put her pencil down in amazement.

    Incorporating cancer chores into lovingly living is just what needs to be done to let the cancer know you can be in charge and live well.

    Yes, it sucks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It continues to be a challenge for most people to apply new scientific and technological advances to long-held beliefs about the human body. Hopefully, your candor will help to drive a paradigm shift in the way people think about cancer and other chronic illnesses.

    ReplyDelete