Saturday, March 2, 2013

Critters for the Cure! Until we lick women's cancer!

I recently discovered a local women's cancer organization I really like:  Critters for the Cure! With the slogan: Until we lick women's cancer!  

http://www.crittersforthecure.org/

We all know that local is best, and CFTC focuses on several things near and dear to my heart: breast cancer (near, not dear), as well as gynecological cancers, pups, and this week . .  a fashion show!! With cancer survivors and pups as models! Woo-hoo! I am there.  Join me? Or just check it out and consider donating to an organization that directly impacts and improves women's lives.

CFTC' was started by Clancy Kress in 2005 when her best friend's breast cancer advanced to stage IV.  CFTC's mission is to  improve the quality of life for women battling these cancers by providing resources including information, life skills, and emergency funds.  They also promote the healing relationship between patients and their pets.  Clancy, you go girl!

My pup Lulu licks my cancer just about every day..  Maybe eventually it will work.) 

(
When one of my BFFs asked if I'd like to attend with her (actually, she's even treating :) --I said attend? Actually, I'd like to be a model! I mean what girl didn't want to at some point . . .  and while I'm clearly not headed to big-time model stardom, it helps a lot when you specialize--as I said, local, and cancer patients.  Kind of like competing in a marathon with runners over 80 that have lyme disease or something. (please, I'm not dissing lyme disease . .  it was the first thing that popped into my head.)

Well, as it turns out, I'm not modeling this year . .  probably just because it's only a few days away and they havent met me yet.  And they have already picked their 10 models, who have been fitted in gorgeous outfits at Bloomingdales.   (Hmm, I just read that there are 11, so someone else has been added at this late date . . )  Any-hoo, maybe next year? I have already emailed with Clancy, and will meet her on Thursday.  So, we'll see.

They do say their models are "cancer survivors", and I have a bone (get it?) to pick with that term.  It just seems outdated to me--more relevant decades ago when most patients didn't make it, and the few that did were truly "survivors."  It's also the name of a TV show, which seems to diminish the dignity of the term.  Most relevant to me is that many many people now live with cancer as a chronic disease for a very long time, something I fully intrend to do.  So, are we survivors? Or, just cancer patients? More on this in another post.

Perhaps I'll see you at the Critters (and Couture) for the Cure Fashion Show Gala?

Yours in fashion,

CDiva

http://www.crittersforthecure.org/events

3 comments:

  1. Do you remember the Order of the Coiffure? I do! Have a good time at the Fashion Show and post a photo of you there later. Love MAA and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was called in to the Dean of Students regarding posting a flier on a bulletin board regarding "an unsanctioned law school activity." I tried to argue First Amendment applied. Ah, the good old days . . .

      Delete
  2. @Meanwhile Back: I do! Great organization. Prof. (Emer.) Wedlock.

    ReplyDelete