Monday, March 25, 2013

Cancer Diva Adventures: What comes free with cancer?


Does anything? I have wondered that for awhile.  My dear mother, when I would visit her and my Dad in Florida (that been almost 10 years . . .  ) would often offer me shoes that "come free with diabetes." [no, I'm not your size, and I wouldn't wear those beige puffy lace-up thick soled shoes if my life depended on it.] "No thanks, Mom, I'm good." Mom had worked in retail at a high-end Philadelphia department store (who else remembers Bonwit Teller?)  She loved to shop and loved a bargain.  Her typical response to, e.g, "that's a pretty blouse, Mom" was "20[%] off!", which she would say with a satisfied smile. 

Her diabetes definitely made her life a challenge in her later years, so I think the free shoes were somewhat of a consolation.  I don't recall that she got anything free for her heart disease or other debilitating conditions. It all came at a price.

I seem to have acquired some of her dedication to (or perhaps, talent in?) buying stylish attire, and similarly, am very pleased when there's a 20% off aspect.

But back to free. Just a few days ago, I saw a brochure in the chemo room @ Dr S's office from Sylene, a very nice local lingerie shop, in Chevy Chase, Maryland.  I had not noticed these brochures before, or perhaps had no reason to look at them (I already shop there)--but this time during during chemo I had a mission--scouting out potential sponsors for the Annual Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC)'s Yoga on the Steps event. LBBC is a great group, devoted to providing education and suppport for breast cancer patients. And I like the name. It means even more to me now that I will always be living with breast cancer, but also want to have a broader, fuller life.  LBBC asked me to be on the planning committee this year, as I've participated in the event for its first two years in DC, and also was the top individual fundraiser both years. (Thanks again, generous friends & family, and note that I will be asking again this year! :). I agreed to be on the committee, with the caveat that I likely can't do a whole lot, as I actually have/am being treated for bc, and am currently on serious rest time. I feel bad when I can't do something someone asks me to, but I think they generally understand.

Back to free stuff. The Sylene brochure actually said "bring this in for a free bra."  Really?? Sylene is a lovely store, with attentive service and a nice selection.  Their bras are pretty pricey, and I'm sure even the little stretchy number they show would not be cheap. I read the brochure closely, lawyer-like, for exclusions. Do I really deserve this free bra? After all, I can afford to buy my own lingerie. Also, my surgery was almost three years ago, and I fortunately did not have to have a mastectomy (that might be the target audience, as Sylene offers services for women post-surgery, including prosthetics, special bras, etc.)  Well, despite these internal questions of worthiness, right after chemo, I walked to Sylene, which is conveniently just two blocks from Dr. S' office, handed them the coupon; said I just picked this up at my doctors office, and I would like my free stretchy bra.  The salespeople (two of them) looked at me kind of funny, and then showed me the selection: pink, white, and animal print. (I won't tell you which one I picked.) I felt uncomfortable, as if they thought I was scamming them somehow  . . . perhaps because  I dont look sick? It was awkward enough that I wanted to show them that I am a regular paying customer, so I bought another bra. I even asked them to look up my size, so they would see I am already a frequesnt customer.  But Mom would be proud . .  I already  had a 20% off coupon. 

It makes sense that diabetes patients would get shoes, and breast cancer patients would get bras. I googled a bit to look for more examples.  Breast cancer patients also can get free wigs if they can't afford to buy them. Parkinsons disease patients can get free information. Thats good, but not as much of a consolation somehow as free clothing.  Googling "cancer free" brought up different kinds of results.  Cancer free.  Now that would be the best gift of all.

Yours in bargain hunting,

Cdiva

P.S.  While writing this during my flight to Tucson, the flight attendant offered me a free snack box, since I had offered to change seats to allow another passenger to sit with her family.  I accepted it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice riff on "free stuff" philosophies, but you - of all people - must realize it's not really "free."

    The cost of what's "free" to you is always covered by the advantage the offeror gets from the "offer" in another valuable (to it) "currency" - i.e., in this case - more visits to the shop, other purchases, etc. And of course something not so valuable to them - a sense of guilt by using the "offer," which might translate, on second thought into more "loyalty" to the merchant - no?

    Anyway, good to hear that your doing well, and always will, and are in AZ. Love and Peace. Don.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, first year law school contracts . . who taught that?

      Delete