Sunday, February 10, 2013

Maybe possibly hopefully . . halfway through?

I have completed three cycles of chemotherapy.  Each cycle (not to be confused by a "round", of course) consists of:

  • day 1: a chemo cocktail mix of 2 drugs, some anti-nausea meds, a bit of steroids, all infused through my port
  • days 2-3, energy boost from steroids (as one BFF says, "Sandi on steroids is like . . . Sandi on steroids . . eg, on both phones, sipping a latte, while asking the waiter a detailed question about the menu, sending an email, talking to BFF, and refreshing my lip gloss
  • days 2-6, some tummy aches, ward off with various OTC and prescription meds; whine a little bit
  • day 8: one of the two chemo drugs infused again, with the same chasers
  • day 9: a follow-up shot, subQ, to boost white blood cell count
  • days 12-15: jolts of bone pain from activity of boosting white blood cell production in my bone marrow; seek to manage with OTC and prescription meds; whine a lot.
  • days 16-20: live normal life, nothing special to report usually
  • day 21= day 1, and we start all over again . . .
So, of course, I am very anxious to continue this regimen!  No kidding--I really am.

February 19, just about a week from now, will be a big day.  I am scheduled for a catscan.  No petscan this time, as apparently insurance providers prefer the specific feline scan to the more open-ended possibility of various household animals. 

On this red letter day, I will drink a contrast agent in the morning (that by then I will have picked up from Sibley hospital. I dont know if they offer different flavors or not; have not seen a menu of any sort.)   I am also allowed to eat and drink regular people food that day--I am SO delighted when a test is not a fasting one.   Im craving pancakes already!  After the scan at Sibley Hospital, I will meet with Dr. S to find out the results.  I'm really really glad I will be able to meet with him and discuss the results immediately--otherwise, I have no idea how I would sleep that night. (or frankly, how I sleep at night now . .  oh, I know how--not very well!)

So, essentially in a week-ish, I will know whether/how well the chemo is working.  Signs of less cancer, smaller spots of cancer, cancer being driven kicking and screaming from my body will all be very welcome.  And would mean continuing the lovely regimen listed above, for another three cycles.   Signs of more cancer, no change in the level of cancer, or other such nastiness will likely lead to a Plan B.  And no, I dont mean the morning after pill.  I guess there's also a possibility that the tests will be somewhat inconclusive.  As we know, so much of life is not black and white, and many decisions must be made in shades of grey.

All crossing of fingers, praying for healing, sending of good karma is much appreciated.

Stay tuned. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this Sandi! You go girl. I love the stream of consciousness writing - it feels like I'm THERE. Thinking of you and praying for the best of news on that red letter day! Love you, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and those pancakes! Hang in strong lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto Mary. Sandi this is great. But before you go for those pancakes, have you considered the french toast at the Cheesecake Factory?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conquer the day, 2/19/13. My sister has been (breast) cancer free for over a decade. Follow her lead. Luv u

    ReplyDelete