Friday, May 24, 2013

Adventures of a Cancer Diva: Waves

I promised to report on GIRLS BEACH WEEKEND!! before moving on to other posts, and I do keep my word.
It was wonderful, relaxing, fun.  There is nothing better than the company of good friends against the backdrop of the ocean.  We laughed, we dined, we napped, we read, we gardened (well, someone did).  BFF J1, hostess with the mostess (and one of very few friends we have with a beach house!) prepared  delicious salade nicoise with perfectly seared fresh tuna.  We pedicured and dipped our toes in the sand.  We hydrated.  



BFF N, a dedicated and gifted early childhood teacher read Rehoboth restaurant reviews out loud with a voice and cadence that made them sound as though they were written by Lemony Snicket.  

We were missing a few of us and they were dearly missed.  BFF B--the glue that holds us together (yes, SC Chuckie, I'm borrowing that phrase from you!) has been uber-busy, as her Perfect Husband (Ph) D is a cancer patient and has been in chemoland for almost a year.  (They have Playland at the beach, but no Chemoland.)  BFF S --the baby of our group at just barely 5-0 (and I don't mean her height) has been busy helping her Mom, who has been a cancer patient for decades, and is facing the challenge of a new recurrence.  This friggin' cancer thing is everywhere, as are other conditions that can stop you in your tracks.  BFF C has Parksinsons and lives with those challenges valiently every day.  She never misses a beach weekend or any opportunity for a party, never whines or complains (unlike me!), and has insights both hilarious and profound. 
Once when one of our BFFs couldn't make it to a gathering because of strep throat, said BFF (am witholding her initials here, as her strep may have been confidential), she said she felt bad--because I was going, despite having cancer.  I told her not to feel bad . .  if the logic were that whoever has the worst disease should stay home, BFF C and I might never go anywhere! 

Being at the ocean is calming for my soul.  The vastness and continuity help me realize how small my problems are in the scheme of things.  I am just one soul.  This too shall pass. 

As with all weekends, girls beach weekend also passed on.  I went home with a bit of a glow, less cash, more chocolate, and the rythm of the waves in my head.

In short order, some of those waves turned to waves of sadness.

Read my next post:  Reversal of Fortune.

CDiva

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sandi. I didn't know about any of this until someone pointed me to your blog. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Will keep reading your posts. Holler if I can do anything. Erika

    ReplyDelete